Between 1593-1596, the Portuguese built a Fort in Mombasa. A deluxe example of Portuguese military architecture of 16th Century, dexterously designed by Italian Architect Cairati. Built in human shape the building was christened Fort Jesus, a clear religious orientation of the builders. It is now UNESCO heritage site. Inside the Fort a museum which exhibits vintage and vast collections of pottery, ceramics depicting the culture of various merchants who traded along the Coast. Within the compound are many battle ruins including Omani House believed to have been built in the late 18th Century. Inside the house is to be found vivid displays of Swahili life.